Mar 22 2010

Delmonico’s Celebrates Lobster Newburg Day

Published by Andy at 5:59 pm under Food, Wine & Beer News

delmonicosIn honor of National Lobster Newburg Day on March 25, Delmonico’s (56 Beaver Street NYC, 212-509-1144) will serve up dishes of its well-known Lobster Newburg on Thursday for just $18.76.  Pretty darn good deal considering it’s $49 on the menu.  Delmonico’s introduced Lobster Newburg back in 1876 after Ben Wenberg, a wealthy sea captain and regular customer, told Charles Delmonico that he’d seen a new way to cook lobster.  Wenberg then prepared a lobster tableside for Charles D. as he had seen using cream, cognac sherry, sweet butter and cayenne pepper.  Guess it must have been damn good, cause it was added to the menu as Lobster à la Wenberg and became an instant hit with customers. After a falling out with Wenberg, Delmonico’s took the dish off its menu.  After customers kept asking for it, they put it back on, but renamed the dish Lobster Newburg.  Check out this pic of Lobster Newburg on AlwaysHungry.

12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Delmonico’s Celebrates Lobster Newburg Day”

1. Jeffon 23 Mar 2010 at 12:04 am

Any thoughts on this one? Delmonico’s hasn’t really been that great in the past many years…I realize its greatly discounted off a super inflated price, but do you think they’ll serve up the real-sized portion and not just slop out some crap?

Jeff

2. kimon 23 Mar 2010 at 8:21 am

And is this for lunch and dinner? Thanks.

3. Andyon 23 Mar 2010 at 12:04 pm

Just got some more info from Delmonico’s on the Lobster Newburg special. They’ll be offering the special from 11:30-10PM during both lunch and dinner and according to the restaurant it is the same portion size as the regular menu.

Jeff: that being said, i have a feeling Delmonico’s will do it right. they’ve been making a big push with social media and hosting events, and they would risk losing lots of credibility with people if they don’t do a good job with it.

4. Anonymouson 23 Mar 2010 at 1:56 pm

Do you know if we can apply restaurant.com certificates here too??

5. Howard Portnoyon 23 Mar 2010 at 2:01 pm

Andy, I will be running their recipe for the dish tomorrow–which, judging from the AlwaysHungry pic, looks drier than versions I’ve had.

6. Andyon 23 Mar 2010 at 2:29 pm

I’m confirming with the restaurant but looks like you should be able to use Restaurant.com gift certificate. Here are the only restrictions I found on Restaurant.com: Minimum 2 entrees. 20% Gratuity added prior to discount. Valid for Dinner ONLY. Valid in main dining room only.

7. Andyon 23 Mar 2010 at 5:32 pm

Just spoke with Delmonico’s and the Restaurant.com gift certificates are not valid in combination with any promotion like the ‘Lobster Newburg” promo. Shouldn’t stop you from grabbing a $25 gift cert for only $2 with code “COOK” on Restaurant.com, which is valid for hundreds of NYC restaurants.

8. Jeffon 23 Mar 2010 at 11:53 pm

Andy,

Thanks for all the great info! Are you gonna go? I’m still on the fence…been eating so much lately

Jeff

9. Boone Homes Jron 25 Mar 2010 at 12:42 pm

This string reminds me of a story i heard the other day:

In a small fishing village, a Newfoundlander was walking up the wharf carrying two – at least three pound live lobsters – one in each hand. It was three weeks after the season closed! Whom should he meet at the end of the wharf but the Fisheries Officer who, upon viewing the live and wiggling lobsters, says: “Well me Laddie I got you this time with two live lobsters three weeks after the Season closed!”

The Newfoundlander says, “No – My Son you are wrong! These are two trained Lobsters that I caught two weeks before the season ended.” The Fisheries Officer says, “Trained like how?” “Well my son, each day I takes these two from my house down to the wharf and puts them in the water for a swim. While they swim I sits on the wharf and has me a smoke, or two. After about 15 minutes I whistles and up comes me two Lobsters, and I takes them home!”

“A likely story”, the Fisheries Officer says! “Lets take them on down the wharf and see if its true”.

So, the Newfoundlander goes ahead of the Fisheries Officer to the end of the Wharf where, under supervision, he gently lowers both Lobsters into the Water.

The Newfoundlander sits on a Wharf Piling and lights up a smoke, then another!

10. kimon 25 Mar 2010 at 1:50 pm

oh…I just realized it’s a one day deal. Bummer…

11. jeff chinon 25 Mar 2010 at 9:56 pm

totally legit. i went today. thanks, andy!

12. http://tiffanyandco.manifo.comon 03 May 2013 at 1:20 am

One can evaluate the cost of footwear with internet sites. Nonetheless, price tags within the products are reasonable. Purchasers can see and create opinions along with comments from the online community for web page. Countless web sites for the day after day gives special discounts, sales together with online coupons of which apply for massive price reduction throughout value to produce you buy the car much less expensive. And so, purchase a cool and trendy and chic innovative girls to experience summers!!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS